Physical Inventory

Managing Inventory without blooming your labor costs and other subjects related to Inventory

Physical Inventory

Postby opinv » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Hello to anybody listening out there. I need to get more info on the physical inventory functionality in MedFlex. ANY info would be appreciated. I am assuming there is a way to cycle count, filter by various Item and location data columns you wish to count, enter counts, review and report discrepancies, and point adjustments to a ledger code. I am a potential user of this seemingly robust system and I am trying to start some community here!!
opinv

Re: Physical Inventory

Postby bcreighton » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I know that this is an old post but I would also like to here how others are using this function of the software. We have ben using Medflex in my office since 2009 but have yet to start using any of the inventory functions. Any feedback on how you are using the inventory feature would be nice.
bcreighton

Postby opinv » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:46 am

THANKS for posting! We are currently using the inventory moduies in many ways and gettign ready to finally clean it up after soem of the dust is settling. Here is whatI was faced with when I arrived here and what we are doing now: ( or attemptign to do and debugging them now)
Step 1
Most Items never existed as "defined" items and thus no movement/picking or any automation could be used. So we mandated that all parts are defined and received as such. This means updating your parts def tables for a given vendor and/or creating every single item so it is purchased and received as defined items. If you do not do this you are dead in the water and need not read any further. We also then decided that for high usage recurring items that we wanted to track (and here it is just about everything from mixing cups to walking boots) we established that every item must have a preferred Vendor ( a default vendor selected for each item we wish to try and automate the purchasing of via Supply ordering based on Min max settings that we decide are sufficient for the x days of supply we wish to maintain. ( contact me via email at al.ford@wcbl.com for detail) It is also important to have the preferred vendor's number in the system as opposed to your OEM number. So for example: a 2" Stockinette number of 1000200 by RX Textiles is OUR number we use on our shelf, but the our preferred Vendor's number (Cascade's) is called SC-02 so that is what is entered under the preferred Vendor's item number. And in turn what that does is allow you to populate your PO with YOUR item 1000200 but if/when you print that Cascade PO... the PO will show Cascade's number of SC-02 and populate the last cost recorded for it via that vendor. There are many other things to set up in your parts daatbase as well , like List Pricing, Expense codes, LCodes, classes, and locational min max's, and on and on .. so you MUST start there and I would approach it one line at time. As in Ossur walking boots, etc. I'ts a HUGE undertaking but once you have that in place you can then start to use the automated purchasing tools that are inherent in MFlex.

Step 2
Nearly all items ordered were ordered verbally or on poorly designed, nearly illegible forms ( not printed PO's) via the dreaded hideous fax machine rather than by email. For our size enterprise and the sheer number of orders this was a highly inefficient and antiquated process. We first had to update and scrub the Vendor db, make sure the info in there was accurate (like email adresses, phone numbers, general notes, etc.) We then isolated and secured the main stockroom and implemented mandatory MASS MOVEMENT and Inventroy Picking (via Barcode scanner whenever possible)to enable the allocation and recording of ANYHTING COMING IN OR OUT. This allows us to accurately SEE what is on a given patient order or stock moving to another location .... which maintains ON HAND qtys so that we can use MIN/MAX settings that automatically create PO 's via the Supply Ordering module.

Step 3

Use a physical inventory utility to count items in any location by filtering them so we correct OH on the fly as needed. Apparently there is one that allows your staff to record counts, and then you can reconcile them, as in your min stock locations or "closets" as soem call them...

I have not even reached to the Type O items which within that whole side lies another automated process that also works but we are holding off on that due to Cascade integration where you can login to their site, select your items and provide valid linkiing data, and when submitted, that Data will be pushed out at Cascade and uploaded into MedFlex and automatically materialize into linked PO's in your system. That is nearly complete but there is debugging and beta testing going on right now. If interested contact me or Medflex. Cheers. Thanks for the post.
opinv

Postby bcreighton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:16 pm

I am also wanting to use Medlfex inventory system and do not know where to start. Will delivery sheets have part numbers and serial numbers printed on them?
bcreighton

Postby opinv » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks for posting! ... I have not even heard of a delivery sheet ... can you expand on what you are talking about? I a from the tech industry ...suddenly immersed (by choice) to enter this industry... I am thirsty fro any MFlex user to contact me to collaborate ... THANK YOU FOR POSTING .... please contact me at 813-405-3306.
opinv

Postby opinv » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

... if you mean "delivery sheets" as packing slips .... and you are trying track lots and serial numbers via that mode ... I do not think that is a realistic distribution level capability....."yet".
opinv

Postby bcreighton » Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am

opinv,
When we delivery a product to patient they have to sign a proof of delivery form. This form in our system is number 10 in the letters section. Medicare is now requiring that the shoe manufacture and model # are on the deliver sheet. Also with heat moldable inserts, we most show manufacture and product number. This is to prove that the shoes and inserts are approved items.
bcreighton

Return to Inventory / Purchasing